Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Sooner Rather Than Later

We think we know best, right?  Well, I am in a weird place.  Not exactly where I thought I'd be.  Not what I planned.  Planned.  That IS the key word here.  What I PLANNED.  I guess in this life we can plan all we want.  Just thinking that makes me laugh.  We plan and plan then plan a little more.  It has come to my attention that we are not in control.  At all.  I mean, we are responsible for ourselves, what we do, say, think.   But, that's about it.

The desire of my heart was to be in a sales job.  I got one. It was telephone sales. 

I love talking.  Just ask my mom.  I got a C in conduct in Miss Buckner's first grade class.  I was in big, I mean REALLY BIG trouble. I love talking on the phone.  How hard could this be?  Dialing and talking and dialing and talking.  So, I made 100+ calls a day trying to find the right guy to buy my company's cleaning chemicals.

The part I loved the most about this job was talking to great people.  Some of them even bought from me, most not. Hence, me not lasting at that job.  But that's another story.

One of my customers and I had a very long discussion. (Sales plan: Make them your friend and listen to them, then give your sales pitch.)  This YMCA manager shared with me that he'd left a high stress career and landed directing the Y.  His new job was a much slower pace for him.   He shared with me he was writing.  I mentioned that I'd always wanted to write.  But where to start?  He encouraged me to get started. I believe the words he used 'sooner rather than later.'

Is a year sooner, or later?  I'm thinking more later.  So, I'm a slow starter.  This is no surprise to me. What was I waiting on?  I know.  I want everything to be perfect.  And I'm laughing again.  You know it will never be perfect.

Perfection is not for this side of heaven.


Just Bebe

No comments:

Post a Comment