Wednesday, November 16, 2022

The coolness of the Night

It was just another Monday.  A little manic as the song goes.  It was a day of updated computer programs that had hiccups all day.  A day of an overlooked appointment, again, due to a miscommunication between my laptop and my phone.  Thankfully, an email reminder came to my rescue and I arrived on time to committee meeting.  It's a big committee deal too, a huge event in the making.

It was tax day, you know April 15.  Were my taxes complete?  Absolutely not.  They were, however, with the accountant, who, no doubt were working hard on making sure I had all the deductions I was due.  I did send an email asking if we were filing an extension.  I was assured that they would be completed later in the day.

I received an almost urgent call regarding an invitation.  My friend emailed me and when I didn't respond fast enough for her (she's a first born) she sent me a text.  "Do you want to play bunco tonight?"  I waited 2.3 seconds and responded with an emphatic YES! Followed up quickly with, what do I need to bring?  I then picked up my desk phone and called my husband to see if we had any plans for the evening.

Well the day is done. I sit gathering thoughts and soaking up sounds of the night.  I live in a home that is convenient to the interstate, sometimes sounds make their ways through the trees.  Not tonight.  

In the cool of the evening I hear the melody of spring critters in the trees.  Now, I'm not sure exactly what theses critters are but it's a soothing long creeeaaaakkkk, and a heavier lower rumble.  The sky is clear, the stars bright and just a sliver of a moon.  An occasional automobile interrupts my symphony of critters.  

Oh, and then I hear the girls.  I hear the chatter of them several houses away.  They aren't too loud but the sound carries in the clear, cool air.  I can tell they're girls as they are all talking at the same time.  I suppose they are talking about whatever it is girls talk about these days.  Do you think it's changed?  Ok, so I know it's changed, but how much?    The cadence of their voices are much like the sound of the critters.  A steady drone then silence, a slight rumble then silence.  I suppose their little chat is coming to an end.  I hear the start of an engine and someone is leaving.  Voices still as though talking through a car window.  The sound of a door closing, the bid of farewell and the sweet sounds of I love you. 

I suppose should also mention the sound of the pecking of the keyboard . . .

Just Bebe

No comments:

Post a Comment