Wednesday, November 16, 2022

The Button Jar

Is it just me or did every household have one of these?  It must not be JUST me because a month or so ago we were at the Flipper family home.  His mom moved out and we were going through things.  I found myself going through her sewing supplies.  That's right up my alley.  Collecting sewing stuff.  Notice, I didn't say, sewing.  I do love to sew but seems I don't do it all that often. 

Anyway back to my find.  As I searched through Cat's sewing stuff, I came across a button jar.  I'm not sure what it is about buttons.  Or button jars. 

It took me back to memories of the button jar of my childhood.  It was a Welch's Grape Jelly jar.  The lid was a faded purple.  It was dented on one of the upper edges of the lid.  I suppose that came from it being dropped on the floor.  Heck, I was the one that probably dropped it.

As a little girl I can remember opening the jar and dumping the contents on a smooth surface.  I would sort them by sizes, colors and styles of buttons.  I remember one particular button that was fancy. It had a big fat rhinestone in it.  I never remember having any items of clothing that had anything sparkly on the buttons.  I can't imagine my mother having any item that fancy.  She could have,  I just don't remember her with sparkly things when I was growing up.

What I wish is that I could share the softening of my heart or the catching of my breath when I think of that silly old jar full of discarded and extra buttons.  It was just an old grape jelly jar.

Hopefully, my children will have similar memories of silly things from their childhood that one day will put a smile on their face.  


No comments:

Post a Comment